Sunday, April 24, 2016

Epoxy Hot Box

Warm epoxy is less viscous so it flows, measures, mixes, and wets out better. Keeping it in a 'hot box' so that it can be dispensed as needed already warm and ready is a great convenience.

Since I still have no supplies (same as yesterday) I decided to build a hot box.  I started by using the sheet metal features of Autodesk Inventor 2013 to work up a suitable design. I saved the unfolded parts as DXF files and then used Cut-2D to create tool paths and save them in g-code. Finally I sent the g-code files to my homebrew 4'x8' CNC router table and had it cut the parts out of some scrap 040 and 032 6061 aluminum I had laying around.









The Vision calls for using Aeropoxy, which comes in cans, and doesn't have pumps for metering, so I will be transferring the Aeropoxy parts into a couple of one gallon jugs with pumps I got off of Amazon. The hot box has a layer of foam insulation lining the inside and each jug is wrapped with about a foot of 4" Flex-Watt heat tape (that happened to have laying around). The resin jug is sitting on the temp sensor of this nice little temperature controller and the heat tapes are attached directly to the controller's A/C output. Very simple hookup.

Here is the finished hot box sitting on the mixing stand next to the gram scale for getting ratios correct and a temp/humidity meter for making sure environmental conditions are within limits for working with the Aeropoxy.

Time Spent Today: 6.0 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment