Thursday, April 28, 2016

Official Start of Construction

Construction had begun.
That first step on a journey of a thousand miles has been taken.
Epoxy has been mixed.

The first major milestone in the construction of the Vision EX is the lower fuselage (aka 'the boat'), consisting of the entire assembly of the sides and bottom of the fuselage from the firewall aft. I will be using the alternate 'Fold-A-Plane' method of construction so my first steps are to make about a dozen variously trapezoidal foam panels. While I could lay all of this out with a ruler and a Sharpie, that really isn't my style.  Instead I drew all of the panels out in Autodesk Inventor 2013 and nested them with Cut2D to get the most out of the sheets foam.

The nesting exercise revealed that I need to make three panels by joining stock 24"x48" foam sheets.

Panel 1 is 48"x96" (3 sheets)
Panel 2 is 48"x96"

Panel 3 is 30"x48"
I
Here are three of the stock panels being bonded together with a paste made from Aeropoxy and micro-ballons. The black things on the panel are mesh bags of lead shot (scuba soft weights). They are there to hold everything down while the epoxy paste cures.


Once everything is cured, I'll take this triple-panel to the CNC router table and let it accurately cut out the shapes for me.

Time Spent Today: 3.0 hrs (including CAD work)

No comments:

Post a Comment